Reimplementiation of NAB Online?

More
7 years 6 months ago #356 by Dvorak
Hey,

I recently rediscovered one of my childhood games, NAB. Unfortunately, it appears impossible to play online with others due to the master server being down. I am thinking of reverse engineering the way the NAB client interprets the communication from the server, in an effort to have a global NAB server that any user can connect to.

Obviously, the master server is hard coded in the program. Instead of modifying the exe directly, I was thinking of doing a simple hosts file redirect to a server. Said server will serve as a 'population server' and a NAB server. Of course, for this to work, people would have to do the hosts redirect (can be done in a .bat file easily.)

Would anyone like this? Has anyone any resources which may help? pcap capture of communication with the population server would be amazing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #357 by Rajada
This has already been done by the Unreal community. In fact, it's even easier than you suggest. The fix is implemented in the Community Pack, and Ini Patcher utility. Basically, the traffic is redirected to a new master server.

Check it out here:

www.nerfarena.net/index.php/downloads/do...munity-pack-3-3-full

By the way, do you have programming experience as your post suggests?

More
7 years 6 months ago #358 by Dvorak
Okay, I had no clue that was implemented in the community pack. I figured that it was only textures and maps.

Yes, I have several years of experience.

More
7 years 6 months ago #359 by Rajada
Yeah, right now I'm working on an even better version of our Community Pack, but I am looking for some programmers to help make a new version of the auto-update utility, hence why I asked.

More
7 years 6 months ago #360 by Dvorak
Let me mess with the community pack a bit. How would you prefer to communicate?

More
7 years 6 months ago #361 by Rajada
If you have a Skype: find me at rajada.nab

By the way, welcome to the community, I'm the current manager of this site, so if you have any questions, I'm your guy.

Moderators: 8Bit_Architect