Just a short update catchup for now since a few versions have passed. The patch notes for this particular catchup are contained in just one post located here.
- Minor renovations to a few maps: PM-LavaCenter, PM-LavaRun, and PM-RocketRun1.
- Major renovations to CTF-PirateShips, PM-PirateShips, and PM-Sk8'sBedroom. These are some of my favorite renovations recently, so check them out!
- Added fall damage reduction to the remaining "shrunken player" maps including PM-Sk8'sBedroom, PM-BreakfastRemix, CTF-Bedrooms][Remix, and PM-Bedrooms][Remix.
- An old community favorite PM-OutcastFacility receives some quality of life updates including item placement, some additional cover in open areas, an extra route to the second floor, and triggers for the doors to make them more reliable and intuitive.
- While not the most playable maps, CTF-FloatingIslandExtremeRemix and PM-FloatingIslandExtremeRemix are an interesting piece of community mapping history. These maps contained some of the first conceived customized weapons. Though they tend to be simplistic, they have now been updated to be functional after updates years ago broke them with changes to weapon functionality.
- CTF-CivilWarRemix and PM-CivilWarRemix received some standard updates, but also functional cannons for the forts!
- And for the first time in a very long time, a new map was submitted by Grafik, PM-GFK-Renovatio.
- The Greed gamemode has received some much-needed quality of life updates. The scoring system has been redone to reward scorers with bonus points for scoring large amounts of points at once, encouraging stockpiling and rushing. The more points you carry, the more bonus points you can potentially net! The bonus points are even shown on the HUD! Also, improvements were made to bot AI in this mode, though the work in this respect is not yet finished. Lastly, players who are knocked out can drop more than one point if they were on a spree, adding more variation into the scoring potential and encouraging you to hunt down that sniper for all his accumulated bounty.
- Two improvements were made to the menu system. For one, work was continued on the loading system code for the Setup Botmatch screen when it comes to loading map information (screenshots and descriptions). These updates have once again improved the loading speed of this potentially long list. Secondly, a bug was fixed that caused issues reading in the map description info for gamemodes other than PointBlast. Sometimes, under certain circumstances, the reading of description files could fail, resulting in several maps reporting to have "no description" when indeed they did have descriptions. This has been fixed.
- The RocketsNAB mod received some slight tuning to bring the weapon out of "overpowered territory".
Part of the charm and what separates Nerf ArenaBlast from its cohorts on the same engine is its arcade-approach to the idea of a traditional first-person-shooter. Points are awarded not for a knockout, but for a variety of point-scoring maneuvers. From dropped point pickups to accuracy bonuses to point targets, Nerf ArenaBlast has always had a number of ways to get points besides the main objectives. But for a number of years, many of the community maps have lacked the map-based bonus point opportunities. No longer! I have begun the process of adding point targets to community-made maps where appropriate, and other bonus points where they're not the best fit. The hope would be to one day give almost every map some form of attainable bonus points, and begin rewarding players for style and skill. While this small step is the first in that regard, I am already researching other fun ways to make the gameplay more rewarding and varied. And don't worry, bonus targets can be toggled off with a mutator if desired. For now, the most important changes follow:
- Added support for clicking https links in the news window. Previously, only http links were supported.
- Smite can't be used before the game starts.
- Cleaned up bot-adding code.
- Fixed some issues with spectating.
- Added console messages for leaving fly and ghost and invisible.
- Fixed issues with using walk command in water.
- KillAll command can no longer kill the class you are or players.
- Summon now takes into account the size of the item being summoned.
- TarPointTrigger now has the option to specify a texture for the points.
- Bug-fixed the WarheadSpawner class so the person triggering it now appropriately gains credit for any knockouts resulting from its use (such as in PM-Trenches or PM-FithRemix).
- Point targets can now be attached to movers.
- Added a new bot-compatible jump pad class for experimentation. Check out PM-Breach and PM-RedPsi to see it in action and expect it to get added to other maps eventually.
- Bugfixes for CloudZones.
- Added standard point targets to several maps: PM-1on1-BigBrother, PM-1on1-Noob, PM-Anoxia, PM-Baboos, PM-BigBo, PM-Breach, PM-BreakfastRemix, PM-Chroma, PM-CinderCanyon, PM-Cirrus, PM-Colosseum, PM-CDTraining, PM-Darkside, PM-DreamM, PM-FloatingBridge, PM-FoamFactory, PM-Fun, PM-GladiatorRemix, PM-Lunar, PM-NABCommunityMap, PM-NerfFunnel, PM-Probe, PM-Quickie, PM-Ringo, Pm-RomanArena, PM-ShortCircuit, PM-Sniper'sAlley, PM-SolitaryDuel, PM-SpaceScraper, PM-Static, PM-TootieFruity, PM-TopsyTurvy, PM-TrainingArena, PM-Twister, PM-Vortex, PMX3-Luna.
- Added special bonus point targets to PM-AirRage, PM-BathroomRemix, PM-BluePsi, PM-Convoy, PM-DrStrangeLove, PM-KringleRemix, PM-Slam'sHauntedHomestead, and PM-TantricRemix.
- Shooting the core in PM-FithRemix now awards 100 bonus points per hit.
- Environmental destruction in PM-Dragon'sEnd awards bonus points.
- Snowman heads in PM-Containment can now be shot for bonus points.
- Killing the birds in PM-Bedrooms][Remix now awards bonus points.
- Renovated the map PM-GFK-Cityscape.
- Mini-renovation of PM-Khufu.
- Re-remixed PM-SesmarRemix and added a CTF version of the map.
- Re-remixed PM-GladiatorRemix, PM-StalwartXLRemix, PM-TechnoTourneyRemix, PM-TempestRemix, and PM-UndergroundRemix.
- Added two doorways to the conference room and a vent shaft to PM-SpaceScraper to alleviate some dead ends.
As always, see the patch notes forums for full details and more minor changes.
Hello everyone. It has occurred to me that due to a combination of now fixed site issues and the implementation of new, more granular updates, this patch notes news section has been neglected for some time. In order to best serve the needs of the community, I am re-tooling how patch note news is implemented in the future. Small updates like map fixes will not receive dedicated posts here, but will be included in larger "catch-ups" when major patches are released. From now on, when Nerf ArenaBlast receives a major feature update or bugfix, all the smaller changes to that point will be conglomerated in an easily-read, less technical digest intended to keep you up to date with big changes.
Since a number of updates have now gone live in the past few months, I figured now would be a good time to catch you up from where we left off. With the new updater giving us easier access to updates, we can look forward to a much-improved game. For full patch notes, be sure to check out the patch notes area of the forums. Here is a list of the major changes to this point:
- A new and improved Updater program that updates on a per-file basis, is able to optionally delete unneeded files, and is aware of your Community Pack installation type and updates appropriately.
- New Updater can also change your Community Pack type without downloading a whole new Community Pack program.
- Functionality fixes to the in-game news window which had been broken since PHP 7.
- A brand new and improved Community Pack executable (version 3.6).
- Note that a number of maps have received new friendly names based on those names intended by the original authors of those maps. A few of your favorites may be under a slightly updated name!
- Hundreds of improvements to map lighting, texture issues, BSP holes, AI pathing, and weapon and pickup balance. Maps with major changes are highlighted below; check them out!
- PM-Anoxia and PM-Dimondus received some new areas to explore and add value to certain routes that were once dead ends.
- PM-SpaceScraper got a new hi-def Earth image courtesy of NASA.
- PM-Production received some improvements to the boiler room and a new passageway between the molding room and broken lift to alleviate the choke point in the molding room.
- CTF/PM-Railroad received new passageways to alleviate dead ends and add more access to more areas including a much-requested way into the cabin from the roof.
- KOTH/PM-SolitaryDuel received a much-requested lift that can help you escape from the lava river.
- Total stability overhaul to PM-KringleRemix, making it playable and BSP-hole free!
- Rebalanced and fixed the golden gun featured in PM-007TempleRemix.
- PM-FBArena received a few new rooms and passageways to help alleviate dead ends.
- PM-BathroomRemix received a number of new areas to help fill out some empty space and add more ways to get to higher areas and down to the floor without losing tons of health. Also now includes a fall-damage reduction and a toilet flush trap!
- PM-GalleonRemix (aka Koos Galleon) has been restored and fixed and is now BSP hole free!
- PM-MatrixedRemix has had a number of fixes that make it playable!
- PM-NightOpRemix has been lit, and the dark version has been moved to DK-NightOpRemix so flashlights will be given out automatically.
- Restored a map reported missing since the CP 3.5 PM-PhobosRemix.
- Renovated PM-Vulcanizer. Now the classic map both looks good and plays good!
- Star Wars maps PM-ATATBargeRemix and PM-TieBayRemix have been restored to their fully-textured glory and are now bug-free.
- PM-BattlefieldOfSpike (Spike's Battlefield) has been renovated to fix a number of unusable hallways and balance issues.
- The oft-overlooked classic PM-CDTraining has received some TLC and now features better weapon balance and elevators that are more accessible.
- The BSP hole that was PM-Jormungandr is now a playable map!
- PM-SunTzuRemix now features no BSP holes and, more importantly, interactive gongs!
- Rebalanced the M16 in PM-DogtownRemix.
- Improvements to maplist, mutator, botmatch and server menus including faster load times, fixed crashes, new bot settings, and better sorting of events and maps.
- Map names in menus now specified by the author in the map itself rather than the unfriendly file name.
- Bots now mostly ignore players who are flying or ghosting instead of trying to shoot at invincible, cheating players.
- HUD improvements including stability fixes, timer reliability, corrected visual element offsets, and support for game times greater than 1 hour.
- Improvements to visuals and sounds on point and gear targets.
- Fix for fullscreen / windowed mode often showing the wrong mode in the video menu.
- The crowd now cheers for you when you go on sprees.
- Players no longer vanish when knocked out and leave behind a stand-in that shows their knockout animation just like bots!
- Added back the missing GlobalStats mutator.
- Added a new type of mover that loops but only in one direction for use with decorative items (like swinging signs).
- Added a new drip decoration for simulating leaky water.
- A huge amount of bug-fixes to all default weapons including reliability in online games. Highlights are noted below...
- Dart-firing blasters have received buffs to make them more viable against hitscan blasters. Darts now fly faster, last longer in the air, and work as intended in online games.
- Improved scoped crosshair for the Hyperstrike.
- Hyperstrike now does flat damage based on locational damage (head, chest, legs) and does reduced damge when not scoped to alleviate no-scope spamming. Scoping in also enforces a minimum zoom level of 4x to prevent circumvention of this balance change with no consequences via low zoom amounts (IE 1.1x).
- Color correction to Ballzooka balls.
- Ballzooka is now easier to aim and projectiles fly straighter.
- Fixed a number of oversights with the new Pulsator bolo balls that made them too damaging.
- Fixed a number of bugs with Ballzooka goo that could sometimes paralyze players until their next life.
- Ballzooka goo now drains MegaSpeed and MagaJump powerups, giving the players wearing them an extra chance to escape before getting stuck.
- When you are guiding a Sidewinder alternate fire disc, there is now a distinct graphical border around the screen to alert you of the fact that you are no longer in the viewpoint of your character.
- Causing a Whomper alternate fire projectile to explode by shooting it now allows you to claim credit for the damage and any subsequent knockouts instead of it being ruled a suicide.
- Fixes to notorious bugs in the Triple Strike animation logic (even online!).
- Triple Strike rockets now do reduced damage and increased momentum on hits to the foot region to improve the survivability of rocket jumping and reward direct hits more.
- Rebalanced the NerfCannon to be better able to set off traps with the alternate fire.
- RPGStats weapons have also received a number of rebalances and bug fixes.
Page 1 of 2