Returning to the NAB Community

More
7 years 5 months ago #362 by NerfPlayeR135
Nostalgia can be a powerful force, and it's taken me back to one of my childhood favorites. I've got the NAB CP fully working on my new Windows 10 PC, with barely any issues that are out of the ordinary. (Curse you, seemingly random crashes!)

Hopefully Rajada remembers me from a few years ago, but for the uninitiated, here's an introduction.

I've been playing video games since I was 4 years old. Back then, one of my all-time favorites was NAB. I remember obtaining the demo for the game somehow and convincing my father to order two full-game discs through the mail. I actually still have the two discs, and I've protected them so well since then that I actually installed vanilla NAB a week ago using one of the discs. When I was about 6, I started getting into Webkinz, which combines video games with plush toys. (Another hobby of mine that continues to this day is collecting stuffed animals.) I needed a username to create my account, and my father remembered how much I enjoyed NAB and suggested Nerfplayer. The name has stuck with me ever since, and eventually I would add more capitals and a few numbers to create my current name, NerfPlayeR135.

Regarding my NAB habits, I usually play on Amateur Pro difficulty (I know, I'm kind of a noob) with the Mario and RPG mutators. One of my favorite maps is Railroad, and I'm probably not the only person to say this, but I absolutely despise the aimbot capabilities some of the bots have. (Just recently I had to deal with Frazier and an invisibility-granting RPG Hyperstrike he picked up. I lost. Badly.)

It's nice to return to this small-yet-vibrant community after all these years. Hopefully my interest in NAB will last for a while - usually I end up taking a hiatus from gaming communities if I've lost interest in their games, only to come back without warning months or even years later.

Nerf is my name, ArenaBlast is my game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #363 by Rajada
Hey, welcome back. Been a while since I saw you around here.

Not sure what kinds of random crashes you're getting, but you should send pictures. A lot of times I can help with that kind of stuff. It might just be that RPGStats is a tad unstable with all those special effects around, but the good news is I'm working on a huge update to NAB that's going to re-define the whole game.

If you have any questions at all, I'm usually here to answer them. And if I'm not, I'm probably away taking math and physics tests, and will be back before the end of the day.

More
7 years 5 months ago #364 by NerfPlayeR135
If my game crashes with a non-typical error message (e.g. not a protection fault or virtual memory issue), I'll be sure to screenshot it and report it in another forum post. Thanks for the info.

More
7 years 5 months ago #366 by Rajada
Even with virtual memory crashes, you can alleviate this by increasing allocated memory in your Nerf.ini file. See this article for details:

www.nerfarena.net/index.php/help/9-nerf-...y-in-nerf-arenablast

More
7 years 5 months ago #367 by NerfPlayeR135
I already have VM set to 256. I tried increasing it to 1000 (my PC has 8 gigs of RAM), but it caused a lot of texture flickering.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #368 by Rajada

NerfPlayeR135 wrote: I already have VM set to 256. I tried increasing it to 1000 (my PC has 8 gigs of RAM), but it caused a lot of texture flickering.

Because you set it to 1000. Try setting it to 1024, or even 2048 because this is the proper base 2 number, and you should be fine!
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Rajada.

Moderators: 8Bit_Architect