Game won't start on Windows 10 x64

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #685 by Raito
I installed game from the ISO, applied the latest community patch, ran the updater and it installed around 43 updates but still I can't launch the game.

I tried the running main exe as Administrator and in Compatibility mode set to Windows 98, no luck. I tried all renderers (Open GL, D3D, Software), still nothing.

Game only plays the logo at the beginning and then crashes. Sometimes I can see blimpse of "PRECACHING" loading screen right before it crashes. No error message is shown. Event logger shows only this:

Nerf.log shows nothing:
Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Raito.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago #686 by Rajada
When you installed the CP, you should have had the option for "Create Shortcuts". These shortcuts skip the intro videos and are more stable. If you look in the system folder of your nerf install there are two Nerf executables... VNerf (videos) and Nerf (no videos). Try launching the no video version to see if there is any difference. If not we'll move on to other troubleshooting steps.

Since you're running on 10, you might also want to make sure the CP even installed, as UAC can get in the way, and causes save issues as described here.

www.nerfarena.net/index.php/help/9-nerf-...d-re-launch-the-game

More
1 year 2 months ago #687 by Raito
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have the shortcuts and I tried both, with and without video and result is same, I can see for a brief moment of "PRECACHING" screen before the game crashes, leaving logs empty.

I have UAC completely disabled on my Windows so that should not be an issue either.

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #688 by Rajada
Having UAC "disabled" does not stop Windows from moving the User and Nerf ini (configuration) files to the app data folder. I would still perform the steps in the article I linked. But regardless, let's try running the Nerf Updater that should have installed with the CP to make sure you have all the files you need.

A quick note on the updater confusion that is bound to happen: the v2 updater when it is finished updating will install a new v3 updater that is way better. Run the Updater v2 until it finishes updating, then open your "Atari/Nerf/Nerf ArenaBlast Updater" directory and run that updater exe. The v3 updater will delete the old updater, and I recommend replacing the updater desktop shortcut with a shortcut to this new updater for future use. This mess will be resolved in the new version of the Community Pack I am currently working on.
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Rajada.

More
1 year 2 months ago #689 by Raito
I checked the INI files and they were present in the correct directory. But I deleted the whole installation and I'm now trying a different .iso file (from archive.org) so I will try it together with the v3 updater.

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #690 by Rajada
I should clarify that the inis will be present in the correct directory but locked, read-only, and unused as Windows diverts the changes to the app data copies. They will cause issues until you take the steps to make sure the Users group has complete access to the Nerf directory. It is a quirk of NAB being such an old game.
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Rajada.

Moderators: 8Bit_Architect