Changing Your Singleplayer Character?

More
7 years 5 months ago #370 by NerfPlayeR135
Is there a way to change the character you play as in singleplayer to someone other than a member of the Twisters? Some maps have areas that only small characters such as Rabbit can fit into, and I'd rather not wait for every one of those maps to be fixed.

Nerf is my name, ArenaBlast is my game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #371 by Rajada
There is a bit of a workaround. You could use console commands to travel to a level while the multiplayer player selection is open. But unless you want to type out all the commands for gamemodes, mutators, timelimit, pointlimit, etc... I wouldn't recommend it. Opening a level is a lot like typing a URL, and a lot of the teleporters in ready rooms use a similar concept. Here's an example:

Tilde(~) or grave(`) opens the console by the way.

open PM-Anoxia?mutator=EasyPoints.EasyPointsMutator,RajMutators2.RajArena2?TimeLimit=8?Difficulty=3

You could set up a botmatch with your desired settings, play it, then during the match, open the multiplayer setup menu, and local travel to the map. Local travel preserves game settings and mutators, and you only need to type the destination map. Not sure if it would preserve your character though. Again though, you'd still be doing a lot of typing (can be partly alleviated by the fact that the most recently entered console commands are saved in the console if you press the arrow keys with the console open). Local traveling looks like this:

localtravel PM-Anoxia

I could look into coding a mutator that takes your multiplayer character selection as your spawn class instead of the singleplayer one, but I can't guarantee it's possible. NAB has some strange code architecture in the menus, and so it might not be possible to see multiplayer settings in a singleplayer menu. I'll look into it though.

More
7 years 4 months ago #376 by NerfPlayeR135
Maybe it's possible to change some settings in some of the config files. User.ini stores information for local game settings and story progress for each of the four profiles, or "cards." I can see that the "Class" parameter, which specifies the actor class used for your character, is listed as a part of each card. I use Card 1 and I play as Ted, so the class listed is "NerfKids.Ted". What if I changed it to a different class, such as "NerfKids.Rabbit"? Would the game function normally with the new player class, crash, or auto-correct it back to Ted, since he's the default player class?

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #377 by Rajada
You know, I'm not sure. We should try it and see what happens! It's nothing you can't undo later.

So I loaded into the readyroom with Rabbit, but upon starting an event it corrected to Ted. Seems like you're stuck with the localtravel trick for now.

However, if I can find some way to make it work smoothly I'll be sure to try to put some secret way to select a non-Twister for your singleplayer character into 300A.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Rajada.

More
7 years 4 months ago #378 by NerfPlayeR135
Now I'm even more excited for what you're planning, update-wise. Perhaps some player classes from Infiltration could be options, too.

More
7 years 4 months ago #380 by Rajada
Well... adding new player classes is not easy and requires a lot of re-coding menus. Besides, for 300A, I am keeping all added / updated content that I put into it appropriate for a vanilla NAB experience. Everything else will fall into the new Community Pack. So in other words, some of the new stuff you might see in 300A:
  • More multiplayer maps. As long as they use mostly vanilla textures. Examples: PM-Anoxia, PM-Thunder, PM-Probe, etc...
  • More game modes. As long as they are nice and polished. Examples: LaserBlast (IE instagib, with some additional updates), Last Man Standing, CTF, etc...
  • More mutators. As long as they don't include tons of custom weaponry. Examples: Statues, EasyPoints, etc...

Moderators: 8Bit_Architect